Sunday, March 11, 2012

What I'm Reading Now-The Night Circus: A Novel

The Night Circus: A Novel by Erin Morgenstern-This book has recently been long-listed for the 2012 Orange Prize for Fiction, and I can see why. I loved it. I loved the world that was created within the book--beautiful, magical, visually evocative. I want to visit Le Cirque des Réves (The Circus of Dreams), this black and white circus that appears in the middle of the night with it's ever-burning cauldron of fire. I want to see the illusions that the magicians create, night after night, building upon each other's magic. I want to attend a Midnight Dinner at Chandresh Cristophe Lefèvre's mansion. I want to see all the impossible clockworks that Herr Thiessen creates. I want a dress like Celia's, that changes color to complement my nearest companion...I want to see the magic.

When I read the Harry Potter books as an adult, I was glad that they weren't around when I was a child, because I know I would have spent my entire life waiting for an owl to deliver my invitation to Hogwarts and my whole school experience would have been even more disappointing than it was. (I blame "Grease" and "Dirty Dancing" for an exceptionally disappointing high school experience.) Anyway, now that I have read The Night Circus, I'm pretty sure that I will always be on the lookout for the black-and-white striped tents that announce the mysterious arrival of Le Cirque des Réves. And if I ever find it, you can bet I'm goin' in!

4 comments:

Meryl said...

You and me both! That was such a great book.

Dreamybee said...

I'm glad you liked it too. :)

Wendy said...

Oh, I had suggested this for our last round of book group votes. did not win, but it sounds so great!

Dreamybee said...

Wendy-I'm not sure if it would make for great discussion or not, but still definitely worth a read.