Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day-May, 2012

Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day! It turns out that May is a pretty happenin' month out in my yard, so let's get started!

My lobelia have come back from a near-death experience in February, so I'm happy about that!

This day-lily, which smells wonderful, seems to be blooming a little early this year, but there are a lot of buds, so maybe it will continue to bloom into its normal June time-frame. 

My Texas sage still has me mystified. I can't quite figure out exactly what combination of neglect/water/drought/sun/etc. prompts this to bloom, but it's always a nice surprise to find a few flowers.

My lavender is also making a nice comeback after the same near-death experience that my lobelia suffered.

The bougainvillea is in full swing right now.

My lime tree is starting to put on some new flowers, and some teeny, tiny little limes!

The puakenikeni has been perfuming the entire yard lately! Here we've got a newer bloom (cream) and an older one (one- or two-days old).

This is a young-ish red ginger starting to open up.

Lots of spider lilies (Crinum asiaticum) out and about today.

These little buds on my bleeding heart (Clerodendrum thomsonae) are just getting ready to go full-bloom. Pretty soon they will look like... 

...this!

Then, apprently, they start doing this...whatever this is. I've never noticed this twisty, cork-screw filament thing happening before. I don't know if this is a sign of fertilization or if it's trying to self-fertilize or what.

It's kind of cool looking though.

I have, once again, been lured into buying a delphinium...wish me luck! If the slugs haven't eaten it by the time the next GBBD rolls around, we can celebrate.  

My Blue Daze (Evolvus glomeratus) seems to be blooming in a more...multiple? fashion than before. I used to only get one flower per stem, now I've got several.

I couldn't pass up these red orchids at the flower shop the other day. I don't know what they are, but they looked really nice with the lilacs and peonies that I also got that day. Unfortunately, these are the only survivors after just a week. 


I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a plethora of blooms in her May Garden today, so head on over to May Dreams Gardens (hmmmm...it's all starting to make sense now!), say hi to our GBBD host, Carol, and see what else is blooming!

No comments: