Monday, May 12, 2008

Irreconcilable desires

I want a Mustang. A Ford Mustang GT. In Dark Candy Apple Red Clearcoat Metallic, but truth be told, if someone were to walk up to me on the street and hand me the keys to a black or silver one, I wouldn't kick him in the shins. I would even take one of those weird green ones if I had to.

Pro: It looks cool!
Con: A new one costs around $25,000 (you can pay a lot more, but I don't need all the bells and whistles).
Pro: I could settle for a used model, but nothing before 2005. There was a long, sad period of time where the Mustang went from looking cool to looking like a sensible-mom version of itself. Glad to see they're back on track. I love the classics, but at this point in my life, I am leaning more toward new cars; but if someone were to walk up to me on the street and hand me the keys to a 1965 Mustang Fastback, I wouldn't kick him in the shins.

Pro: I would be able to blow anyone off the line if I wanted to.
Con: The V8 engine is completely wasted on me because 1) I live in Hawaii. There is nowhere to put a V8 to good use where you aren't likely to get killed or arrested, and I'm trying to avoid both of those and 2) I am not likely to take advantage of my ability to blow anyone off the line because I am too much of a grown up and too many people out here would take me up on that challenge and then I'd be in the middle of a race and end up getting arrested or killed, and, as I've already mentioned, I'm trying to avoid both of those scenarios.
Pro: I don't actually HAVE TO engage in this juvenile behaviour, I just like to know that I CAN.

I also want a Toyota Prius. They're cute!

Pro: Saves on gas-good for your wallet AND the environment!
Con: Suspect that battery production issues might cancel out the "green" effects of the low fuel consumption.

Pro: It's cute!
Con: It looks like a hamster, and I like Mustangs. These two are hard to reconcile.

Pro: A new one will run you about $20,000-25,000.
Con: Used ones are hard to find.

My husband is baffled by this. He doesn't understand how I can reconcile my desire to drive a Mustang and also consider the Prius a suitable alternative. I understand this confusion...if only there were a way to marry hot and eco-friendly into one car...I bet it would look something like this, the Tesla Motors Roadster. OMG! I want one of these cars!

Pro: Did you see it?? It's hot!
Con: I could buy a new Mustang GT, a new Prius (Touring Edition!), AND a 1965 Mustang Fastback and it would still be cheaper than a new Tesla Roadster. Crap!
Pro: It's 100% electric.
Con: You have to plug it in. This is lame as hell. I do not want to have to plug my car in when I get home at night. I don't know why, but this bugs the crap out of me. I can barely remember to get gas once a week or so. How am I supposed to remember to plug my car in EVERY NIGHT? For $109,000 maybe they include some sort of reminder service. Like a car butler who will go out every night, plug your car in for you and then remind you that he will be back the following evening to do it again.

On a somewhat unrelated note, while the Tesla Roadster is my current dream car, if someone were to walk up to me on the street and hand me the keys to a Devaux Coupe (or on a more realistic note, an Audi R8 beause, you know, that's much more likely to happen) I wouldn't kick him in the shins.

So, what irreconcilable desires do you have??

No comments: