Saturday, April 27, 2013

Read-a-Thon 2013: Hour 19

I am several selections into The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2011edited by Mary Roach and Tim Folger. So far, everything has been interesting; I've learned a little bit about black market organ transplants and walked away wondering if legalized payment-for-donation programs might not be the worst thing ever (although I don't think that's the direction the article was leaning); learned about something called "high meat" which...ew; read a short bit that I think was an excerpt from The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York, a book I read and loved a few months back; found out that chimps seem to be a lot more fertile than humans; and was surprised when I cried during an article about neuroscience and brain surgery.

Over at Reflections of a Bookaholic, we have been issued a challenge: "...turn to page 32 of the book you are currently reading (or the nearest page with text on it) and find the most entertaining phrase to complete the following sentence:

"I would rather read than ________ any day!""

Well, I'm reading on an old Kindle, so I don't exactly have pages, per se, but between the "Look Inside!" option at Amazon.com, and some best guesses on my part, I've found what I think is probably pretty close to page 32, so:

I would rather read than SAVOR ROTTEN CARIBOU AND SEAL any day!

For sure! While I have never actually had rotten caribou or seal, I'm going to go ahead and say that it's not anything I'm in a big hurry to try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great read-a-thon and you are now caught up on sleep :) Thanks for stopping by my Cover me challenge. The results are in if you want to check it out.
http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/read-a-thon-cover-me-mini-challenge/

Ali said...

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. I'd say for me it's pretty much no contest, though I've never even tried rotten caribou and seal, much less savored it!