Thursday, August 7, 2008

"Life's too short to read bad books"

This advice was sagely given to me a few years ago by my sister-in-law. I have a hard time not finishing a book, even if it's not great. Being the eternal optimist (or something) I always think it'll get better; surely they wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of writing, publishing and selling this book if this is as good as it gets! Well, it's been hard, but I've been trying to take my SIL's advice and move on if a book isn't good. It just makes me feel like such a quitter though!

Anyway, all of that is to say that I have removed the following books from my What I'm Reading Now sidebar, so if you were waiting with bated breath for a review...well, obviously you have more patience than I do. Congratulations! And sorry if the book you were interested in disappeared without a review. Partial reviews of Wilderness Tips and Latticework can be found here and here, respectively

Wilderness Tipsby Margaret Atwood-I just didn't care. This is a collection of short stories, and while I wouldn't say any of them were bad, I just wasn't interested in reading any more.




The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the Worldby Michael Pollan-I had to return this to the library before I ever got started on it. I imagine this will make it's way back someday, as I still have every intention of reading it, but for now it just isn't meant to be.






The Road (Oprah's Book Club)by Cormac McCarthy-Never got around to this one either. I've checked it out several times, and despite rave reviews from friends, I just can't quite force myself to sit down and start reading this.



Latticework: The New Investingby Robert G. Hagstrom-Library time was up, and I feel like I got all that I was going to get out of this book. I like the general idea behind it, that investing encompases more than just dollars and cents, that you have to step back and see the big picture in life to see how to apply lessons from different parts of life to various other parts of life, that everything is connected.

So, I guess none of these necessarily falls under the "bad book" category, some just weren't good enough to keep me interested.

No comments: