Thursday, October 23, 2008

Just a word

That's all you get at oneword.com.  You click on the "Go" button, and you get a word.  You then have 60 seconds to write anything you want.  When you are done, you can save what you wrote or not and you can see what other people have written.

I visited this site for the first time the other day and got the word "bulb" which, judging by some of the other writings, is a word that gets assigned fairly often.  Here is what I wrote:

"Bulb.  An idea.  A thought.  A flower in hiding, waiting for the storm to pass, waiting for spring to arrive.  Tiny, compact, full of possibilities.  Illuminating.  Bright light spilling forth onto the world, lighting up the darkness.  Coils, Einstein, oops, Edison."

I like the fact that even though I was writing about three totally different things-a light bulb, a flower bulb, and the lightbulb symbolic of a bright idea, they all kind of go together and are all somewhat interchangeable.  I had my own lightbulb moment as I was writing, and that was kind of cool!  

This is a great little exercise-it's enough to get you thinking and writing, even if it's just a little bit each day, and it's fast enough that you can actually do it every day.  I encourage everyone to go over and check it out.     

P.S.  Thanks to Kuanyin Moi and her Way Khool Sites for pointing out this site.



4 comments:

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

This is a very cool site. Thanks for sharing your word and writing, I like how so many different interpretations of the word 'bulb' came to you. My word was 'path' and the first thought that occurred was how a person's path in life is not a pre-made path, but one that changes with every choice we make.
I'm not all that creative, but I did enjoy this site alot :)

Dreamybee said...

Hi Joanne!

I got path too, and I had absolutely none of the inspiration that I had for bulb! I like your idea-did you write it down?? :-)

Mike said...

Thanks for stopping by my 'place'. I don't have time to do it now, but that sounds like a fun thing to try. I hope I don't get the same word; I'll end up writing the same thing you did on accident. :)

Dreamybee said...

Hey, Mike! Your site is cracking me up. I like your Lost/Cocoon theory!