Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happiness A-Z: G

If you don't know what's going on, go here, or just keep reading.  It's fairly self-explanatory. :)

G

Grease - The first time I saw this movie, I think I was about five, and that's when my long-standing crush on Danny Zuko, uh, I mean John Travolta began.  I still like John Travolta; I'm glad he made a comeback with Pulp Fiction even if he wasn't in quite the same...ah...form, shall we say?  

Anyway, this is another movie that completely ruined high school for me.  I was never the mysterious adorable stranger from a foreign land, there was never a nationally-televised dance off in our gymnasium, nobody ever asked me to wear his ring in the middle of a drive-in movie, and we totally did not have our own private carnival on the last day of school where I was able to transform into a smokin' hottie and win over the man of my dreams in a skin-tight black leather-like outfit, bust out into perfectly-choreographed song and dance, and then drive off into the sunset in my boyfriend's FLYING CAR.  (I never really did get that part.)  I'm just glad that the Harry Potter books didn't come out while I was still a kid.  I would have spent my entire school career waiting for my letter from Hogwarts. 

Geckos - They are a common sight here in Hawaii, and I know some people are skeeved out by them, but I think they are cute.  I like the side-to-side wiggly way they move, and they eat all kinds of bugs (like cockroaches).  Plus, their cute little feet with their cute little round toes are pretty impressive from a scientific standpoint.  

Generosity - I don't just mean people with a lot of money that give to worthy causes, although that can count too.  I mean people who are genuinely generous in spirit, people who see a need and do what they can to fill it without thinking twice about it.  Whether it's lending somebody money, helping somebody on the side of the road, rescuing an animal stuck in the middle of traffic, feeding a stranger, or offering to teach somebody else how to do something just because they've expressed interest and you know how, this is an impressive quality.  My husband is amazing like this.  In fact, that was one of the things I realized about him on the night that we met that impressed me, and it still does today.  

Green -  I know those of you in the colder climates can relate to me on this one!  Green signals spring and life and new growth!  Green grass, green leaves on trees and flowers, I love it all!  (Green on my cheese or my bread, not so much, but that's ok, that's manageable.)  

Gardening - This encompasses my love of green.  I like to play in the dirt, I like to watch things grow and see how they develop.  I like worms; I don't mind picking them up and moving them from location to location.  I like discovering new bugs that are good to have in the yard, like Mealybug Destroyers aka Cryptolaemus montrouzieri-they look like black ladybugs, and their babies look like frosted shredded wheat with legs.  I'm serious.  If you ever see one you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. 

I'm sure there are lots of other "G" things that make me happy, but for now, those are at the top of my mind, so I'm going to leave it at that.  

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I can definitely relate to the love of green...The only green I can see around here is the pointed tops of the jonquils. Everything else is still gray/brown.

Janet said...

I had to laugh at your Hogwarts comment...and now I'm going to get lost in your blog a bit :-)

Mike said...

Why did the car fly at the end of 'Grease?'. I'm guessing it had to do with all the drugs the greaser guys were doing. :)
The car was cool though.

Dreamybee said...

Jeanne-Yay jonquils!

Janet-Hope you enjoy your wanderings. :)

Mike-Nah, I don't think that was it. Sandy was clearly aware of the flying car, and, while not averse to hussying it up a bit, I'm pretty sure she would not have been swayed to drugs. Kenickie on the other hand...

You're right though-the car was cool!

sweetbay said...

It's always interesting to see what's blooming in a different part of the world. I'm surprised that the lime tree blooms aren't fragrant, but the pua kenikeni tree sounds wonderful.

Meryl said...

Yeah, I'm a grown-up and I'd still love that letter from Hogwarts. It's gotta come someday, right?