Thursday, April 23, 2009

Heifer International vs. "The Colbert Report"

You all know that Heifer International is one of my favorite charities. I've written about the work they do providing livestock and sustainable farming education to people living in poverty-stricken areas; and I recently reviewed Beatrice's Goat, a children's book about the difference a goat made in one young girl's life, providing her the chance to go to school, something she desperately wanted but didn't think she would be able to do.

Heifer International has designated April as Pass on the Gift month, and tonight Heifer International's Elizabeth Bintliff will appear on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" to talk a little bit about that. If you're a regular viewer of "The Colbert Report" you know that Stephen Colbert tends to be a merciless impossible distracting tough interviewer, but every once in a while he backs off and lets the guest actually get his or her message across. I'm hoping that will be the case with Elizabeth Bintliff. Either way, I will be watching, and I hope you will too!  

2 comments:

Kori said...

My church always used to raise money to donate to this program, and as a child I alwasy felt somehow a part of something when I would put my pennies in the cow box. To see this continue to grow and, yes, thrive is amazing to me on a very personal level. I don't watch tv so didn't watch the interview, so I would love hear how it went!

Dreamybee said...

Hi Kori!

I've posted links to the interview so people can watch. That's great to hear that your church helped support Heifer and that it made an impression on you as a child. I bet it was neat not only to feel like you were a part of something bigger but also kind of fun to be helping buy a cow. I think that's something a lot of kids can get excited about.